ACT Now for Climate Justice

ACT Now for Climate Justice was initiated by members of Action of Churches Together (ACT) to influence the negotiations around the upcoming Paris conference on climate. The coalition has 140 organisations and churches in more than 140 countries working together for sustainable change among the most marginalised people and vulnerable populations around the world. A signature […]

July 30 is World Day Against Human Trafficking

The International Labour Organisation (ILO) has reported that 21 million people worldwide are victims of human trafficking for forced labour, sexual slavery and organ trafficking. The United Nations said that 40% are in forced labour while 53% are forced into sexual slavery. Some 7% are forced into criminal activity, armed conflict, such as child soldiers, and […]

Sri Lanka’s 100 Day Manifesto

The newly elected President of Sri Lanka, Maithipala Sirisena, along with the United National Party, headed by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe, brought forward a 100 day plan that would see significant changes in Sri Lanka’s political environment. While the main objective of the 100 day manifesto is to abolish the Executive Presidency, major changes have […]

What is your work worth? A Living Wage Now!

ASEAN governments will meet in September to set new sustainable development goals in line with the regional economic integration at the end of 2015 but this may impact the lives of workers. With ASEAN intensifying economic ties both inside and outside the region, there is a fear that workers’ right to receive a living wage […]

Women in ICT

“Information and communications technologies (ICTs) like the internet and mobile phones are a double-edged sword – they can be used by abusers to deepen their control and by survivors of violence to connect to help and by women’s rights defenders to inform, denounce and strategise to end violence.” This was the introductory message in the […]

Global Economic Inequality Worsens

Days before the 2015 World Economic Forum (WEF) in Switzerland, the anti-poverty group Oxfam International issued a warning that the richest 1 percent of the world’s population will own more than the remaining 99 percent if the rising tide of inequality continues. In its report “Wealth: Having It All and Wanting More” the group found […]

Migrants still living in uncertain and precarious conditions

There are over 200 million migrants today. Their contribution to their host countries’ nation-building and the benefits brought by their economic activity are the themes of this year’s International Migrant’s Day on December 18. . However in many parts of the world, they are still suffering slave like working conditions. In most countries hosting migrant […]

15 years of International Anti-Trafficking Advocacy

“In both countries of origin and destination, there are numerous gaps in rights protection for trafficked persons.” This is an assertion made at the Global Alliance against Traffic in Women’s (GAATW) International Members’ Congress in Bangkok. The event gathered more than 120 participants from 40 countries coinciding with the 20th anniversary of GAATW. Members and […]

World Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists

On November 23, 2009 fifty eight people, mainly media workers, were shot and killed in the southern Philippine province of Maguindanao, sparking worldwide condemnation for widespread impunity in the killing of journalists. In September 2012 Heng Serei Oudom, a reporter for the Vorakchun Khmer Daily exposed the timber trafficking by military officials in Ratanakiri province […]

Statelessness

  The UN Convention on the Status of Stateless persons is in its 60th year of adoption. Entering into force in 1960, the Convention first gave the world a legal definition of a “stateless person” as someone “who is not considered as a national by any State under operation of its law” and provided minimum […]